154: How We Got a 10% Win With Simple “DIY” Conversion Rate Optimization
Posted by July 26, 2018on
I just completed a successful two-day Private Intensive here in ATX with a client. We floated down the Guadalupe River and even played a little Top Golf, but most importantly made some big improvements to their website.
In today’s episode, I want to share a big win we got from those two days so you can replicate it at home.
Problem: The client had seen a 10% drop in conversion rate over the last month. The last 9 months were rock solid consistent, so it was very strange. A 10% drop in CR cost them around $35K a month!
Solution: We installed HotJar and activated the screen recording function. After running a Google Analytics for exit pages and watching screen recordings, we identified a bug preventing users from customizing the product they wanted. It was literally stopping people dead in their tracks! After identifying the bug, the devs fixed it in a few hours.
- 2:43 How a drop in conversions may be the result of issues (a bug) on your site.
- 4:46 Why step one should always be to confirm your inventory and that you’re not out of stock on key products.
- 6:27 Once you’ve used HotJar to record your site user’s journey, here’s what you want to look for.
- 7:12 What you should look at first once you’ve defined your top exit pages.
- 11:24 How a screen recording coupled with a screenshot can help your dev team quickly correct site issues and get you back to converting.
- 14:15 Recap: The 3 steps you can take to make sure your site is converting the best it possibly can.
Links and Resources
33 Killer Tools and Apps for Ecommerce Pros
Enter your email to access the list of my favorite tools for scaling your business