154: How We Got a 10% Win With Simple “DIY” Conversion Rate Optimization
Posted by July 26, 2018on
I just completed a successful two-day Private Intensive here in ATX with a client. We floated down the Guadalupe River and even played a little Top Golf, but most importantly made some big improvements to their website.
In today’s episode, I want to share a big win we got from those two days so you can replicate it at home.
Problem: The client had seen a 10% drop in conversion rate over the last month. The last 9 months were rock solid consistent, so it was very strange. A 10% drop in CR cost them around $35K a month!
Solution: We installed HotJar and activated the screen recording function. After running a Google Analytics for exit pages and watching screen recordings, we identified a bug preventing users from customizing the product they wanted. It was literally stopping people dead in their tracks! After identifying the bug, the devs fixed it in a few hours.
- 2:43 How a drop in conversions may be the result of issues (a bug) on your site.
- 4:46 Why step one should always be to confirm your inventory and that you’re not out of stock on key products.
- 6:27 Once you’ve used HotJar to record your site user’s journey, here’s what you want to look for.
- 7:12 What you should look at first once you’ve defined your top exit pages.
- 11:24 How a screen recording coupled with a screen shot can help your dev team quickly correct site issues and get you back to converting.
- 14:15 Recap: The 3 steps you can take to make sure your site is converting the best it possibly can.
Links and Resources
The “Perfect Popup” Template
Discover 7 Ways to Capture More Emails Without Being Annoying or Douchy