149: The Art of Doing Less But Better w/ Greg McKeown [Part 1]
Posted by June 26, 2018on
About 2 years ago I purchased and then subsequently devoured the book Essentialism. At the time, I was stretched thin and had too many irons in the fire. The wisdom of Greg McKeown helped me refocus on what really mattered. Today, I have the tremendous privilege of welcoming Greg on the show.
Have you ever felt the urge to declutter your work life? Do you simultaneously feel overworked and underutilized? The remedy is rarely to “get more done” and almost always to “do the right things.” In today’s episode, we explore what stops otherwise outstanding people from breaking through to the next level, and dive into why most people struggle to define what’s important in their life. Enjoy!
- 5:22 The meaning of being an essentialist as defined by author Greg McKeown himself.
- 8:26 How contribution may be keeping you from getting to the next level.
- 12:23 Why it’s impossible to have multiple priorities and still be successful.
- 14:08 How to train your brain to focus on the most important thing you should be doing right now.
- 17:30 How scheduling free thought time can keep you from mimicking others and help you get ahead of the competition.
- 20:22 The 4 things you should focus on when planning your day and the one thing you may realize as you develop this habit.
- 25:11 Why you shouldn’t feel guilty saying “no” when the work doesn’t fit with your internal goals.
- 30:18 The 3 stages of essentialism and how to use them when interacting with colleagues and clients.
Links and Resources
This episode is brought to you by Klaviyo. If you’re running an ecommerce business and sending emails to your customers, you should be using Klaviyo. It will help you find out who your best customers are and target them one-to-one to make more money.
I’ve been using Klaviyo since they were just two employees. Now they have a team of 150 and are rolling out new features almost weekly. If you aren’t already a customer, head over to www.ecommerceinfluence.com/klaviyo and you’ll get a free trial + priority on-boarding.
The “Perfect Popup” Template
Discover 7 Ways to Capture More Emails Without Being Annoying or Douchy