Losing half a million dollars in one year can be a devastating blow. Find out how this company turned things around to become the 20th fastest growing company in the US.
Garret Ackerson is the cofounder of Kindred Bravely – a privately held company that has experienced the highs and lows associated with rocketship growth. Garret did a live training for Coalition members last fall, and I’m sharing it with you now because it’s truly a transparent and sobering look into the ups and downs of a fast-growing company.
Garret dives into the importance of knowing your numbers, making KPIs a team event, and why founders should carve out time and space to think. He also shares why he’s never scared to invest in learning, how to build a flywheel, and find the right partners for your business.
If you’re a founder or someone who helps eCommerce businesses grow, this episode is a must-listen.
- 4:02 How Kindred Bravely first started in 2015
- 7:02 The KPI system Kindred Bravely uses that promotes ownership
- 14:42 Why you should always schedule time to think
- 16:53 Why you should never be afraid to pay for learning
- 19:39 How to debrief and implement your learnings
- 22:26 The only two functions of your enterprise
- 27:30 How to start thinking and dominos and why you want should
- 28:46 Why you need to create a flywheel
- 34:52 What Garret’s thinking routine looks like and the questions he asks himself
- 36:19 The first hire that Kindred Bravely made and why
- 38:37 How to create a flywheel in Shopify
- 43:17 The most important part of capital management
- 47:00 Kindred Bravely’s financial reporting rhythm
- 51:18 The best way to have successful relationships with agencies
- 53:35 How Garret structures business goals and sprints