Today’s guest knew he felt like a million bucks after a $20 haircut. His path to having a product featured in major retailers started by noticing other men felt the same.
Calvin Quallis is the Founder of Scotch Porter – a New Jersey-based men’s grooming brand that hit more than a million dollars in sales within its first 12 months and is now on the shelves of major retailers like Walmart and Target.
The brand’s early beginnings trace back to his mom’s barbershop where Calvin noticed men couldn’t help but walk out with an entirely new pep in their step. Since then, Calvin has been on a mission to help men feel their best.
Calvin joins us on this episode to talk about what building Scotch Porter has been like, the struggles and challenges they’ve faced, marketing strategies that have worked for them, and so much more.
If you’re an ecommerce entrepreneur interested in going into retail, this episode is for you.
- 6:34 The power of a $20 haircut: What inspired the Scotch Porter brand
- 10:19 Creating a mission you can get behind
- 12:17 Laying the groundwork for Scotch Porter
- 15:29 The key characteristic you need to solve your startup problems
- 17:27 What Calvin wishes he knew before signing major retail contracts
- 21:29 Two things Calvin would approach differently if given another chance
- 23:15 The lengthy process of landing inside Playboy magazine
- 25:35 Scotch Porter’s marketing strategies to gain traction
- 27:55 How Calvin would launch a second brand with what he knows now
- 30:23 4 invaluable resources Calvin recommends for your entrepreneurial journey
- 32:26 Why Calvin will hop on a call with any entrepreneur
34:39 The benefits of bootstrapping vs being funded
- 36:29 How you can get in touch with Calvin and learn more about Scotch Porter
Links and Resources:
Behind on planning for Black Friday and Cyber Monday? Klaviyo is here to help.
Klaviyo is the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform for online brands of all kinds and all sizes. With email automation, SMS marketing, list growth tools, and more, you’ll get everything you need to build strong relationships that keep your customers coming back.
And with the holiday season right around the corner, there’s no time like the present. Get up and running quickly with Klaviyo’s lightning-fast integrations, pre-built marketing automations, and beautiful email templates.
Today, more than 50,000 brands like Living Proof, Hint, and Chubbies choose Klaviyo to help them grow.
Whether you’re a billion-dollar business or just starting out, Klaviyo’s the ecommerce marketing platform for growth during the holidays and long after.
Get a free trial at klaviyo.com/influence.
With SMS quickly becoming the most important marketing channel of the decade, many ecommerce brands are excited to get their piece of the pie.
But, with so many SMS tools popping up, it’s hard to know which tool is the best fit for your growing brand.
Postscript is the leading SMS marketing platform that is laser-focused on one thing, building the best SMS platform for ecommerce brands on Shopify.
Using Postscript, your team can grow a TCPA compliant subscriber list, use your Shopify data to create targeted text marketing campaigns and automations, have two-way conversations with customers, and unlock a brand new marketing channel that drives bigtime ROI for your store.
Postscript is trusted by thousands of growing Shopify & Shopify Plus stores to manage their SMS marketing.
Stop treating SMS like email, and instead, respect the inbox, create hyper-segmented campaigns using your data, and make your customers happy.
Start your free 30-day trial of Postscript today at ecommerceinfluence.com/postscript.