Thinking about starting a software company? This week’s guest is giving you a behind-the-scenes look at exactly what to expect.
Michael Facchin is the ultimate bootstrapper. His digital marketing career started in freelance, then he built an agency, Search Scientists, but soon came to a daunting realization: His business wasn’t future proof.
With the rise of AI and Facebook Ads becoming more intuitive, he knew manually pulling the levers for his clients’ ad spend wasn’t going to last forever. Thus, Ad Badger – a software tool designed to optimize Amazon PPC – was born.
It’s been over two years since Michael was last on the show and I’m so excited to have him back. Not only is Michael one of my closest friends, but he’s an expert at PPC and in today’s episode he’s sharing the ins and outs of starting a software company, the pros & cons of bootstrapping vs joining an accelerator, having VC funding, and a few key insights he’s learned on his entrepreneurial journey.
If you’ve ever considered starting a software company, this episode is for you.
- 5:38 Mike’s journey from biology teacher to ads agency owner
- 8:03 Growing a business as a result of the rise of AI
- 12:11 Why Amazon has the best ad platform for direct response marketing
- 15:12 A bootstrappers mentality vs the accelerator mentality
- 18:45 How to determine if an accelerator is a good idea for you
- 21:05 The metrics Michael focuses on most to move his business forward
- 23:23 Mike’s unique perspective on retirement
- 26:19 How Michael is evolving his workhorse mentality and detangling himself from entrepreneurship
- 31:27 The motivation behind diving into entrepreneurship
- 34:55 The hardest part about starting a software company
- 41:01 How Michael and his team use the scrum methodology and why they are moving away from Slack
- 46:27 What Michael wishes he could tell his younger self
- 48:28 The number 1 thing every entrepreneur should have on their entrepreneurial journey
- 50:54 Michael’s favorite book on entrepreneurship that changed his leadership style for the better
- 53:14 Is Ad Badger right for you?