The path to massive success is often through failure. This episode’s guest went from Forbes 30 under 30 to bankruptcy in the same year and reflects on lessons learned.
Josh Durham co-founded Weighted Comforts, one of the first weighted blanket brands, with his mom in 2015. They took off like a rocket, hitting 8-figures in 4 years.
But – they hit some snags, the market shifted and at age 24 Josh went from almost $10 million in sales to bankruptcy in a period of less than a year.
In this episode, he goes through what it was like to grow, how they did it, and then what it was like when it all unraveled. Josh is very transparent in his experience of where and how things went wrong in a way you’re not going to hear in many places. There’s a lot to learn here.
Josh has gone on to have success with another brand and now his own agency, Aligned Growth, and he shares a bunch of learnings from having worked with a lot of different brands now.
- 3:56 How Josh got involved with eCommerce growth marketing
- 5:44 Josh’s first Shopify store in 2015 and how it came to be
- 7:53 The downfall of Josh’s business
- 10:39 Dealing with limited cash and coping with the stress of a business in trouble
- 11:47 What the strategy and business looked like in the end
- 14:01 Closing out in an asset sale: from super growth to bankruptcy
- 16:28 Filing for bankruptcy at 24 years old
- 18:10 Biggest takeaways from a failing business
- 21:58 The dangers of scaling a single product business
- 26:54 Josh’s next venture & hitting 35 million
- 28:51 Starting marketing at product development
- 30:24 How to stand out after competitors come it
- 34:22 Starting an agency
- 36:16 The importance of creative refresh on brand growth
- 38:01 Managing creative at an agency
- 43:09 Current eCommerce requires a higher level of execution on creative
Links And Resources
Are you working around the clock to build the business you always imagined? Do you want to communicate with your fast growing list of customers in a personalized way, but also get time back to work on the rest of your business?
Do you ever wonder how the companies you admire, the ones that redefine their categories, like Living Proof and Chubbies, do it?
They do it by building relationships with their customers from the very beginning, while also evolving in real time as their customer’s needs change
These companies connect quickly with their customers, collect their information and start creating personalized experiences and offers that inspire rapid purchase…often within minutes of uploading their customer data
Klaviyo empowers you to own the most important thing to any business…the relationship between you and your customers, and the experiences you deliver from the first email to the last promotion.
To learn more about how Klaviyo helps you own your growth, visit www.klaviyo.com/influence.
At Ecommerce Influence, we struggled to answer the same question as most of our listeners: how do we best monetize our hard-earned website traffic? We wanted to improve conversions, personalize experiences for our site visitors, and create popups that people actually love.
Lucky for us, we found a solution — OptiMonk. Companies like BlendJet, Avon, and The Body Shop use OptiMonk, because their solutions can boost an online store’s revenue by 20%.
OptiMonk can help you increase average order value, decrease cart abandonment, and collect valuable customer feedback. We worked with Optimonk to create a collection of high-converting popup templates exclusively for our listeners.
Visit optimonk.com/influence to check them out, AND get a 50% discount off your first 3 months.