031: Stop Wasting Your Time At Trade Shows, How DODOcase Exploded Their Business By Timing Product Launches With Major Events – Craig Dalton, Dodocase
Posted by August 28, 2014on
DODOcase is a San Francisco-based maker of protective cases for the Apple iPad that have the look and feel of a luxury, hardcover notebook.
Their philosophy is simple, make things locally and help keep the art of bookbinding alive by adapting it to a world of tablets and e-readers.
Within just a few months of launching they were able to sell over 15,000 cases without a big budget to develop, market, and promote their products and primarily through the timing of product launches with major events.
In 2010, they entered Shopify’s “Build a Business” competition and were the grand prize winners of $100,000.
With a $680 million dollar market for iPad cases they have huge opportunity to be the number one quality brand for this segment of the carrying case market, and today Craig’s going to chat with us about what they’ve been doing to on their quest to $10million plus in revenue.
Topics Discussed Throughout this Interview
- How DODOcase came into being and why predicting the trends helped them create a super successful niche.
- Using Craigslist street teams to help them successfully get the launch they needed.
- The power of using launches to build organic PR for products.
- Craig’s thoughts on Shopify and why they’ve stuck with it.
- What DODOcase does for email marketing that is working so well.
- Social media marketing, what Craig likes and dislikes when coming up with ideas.
- Capitalizing on Google’s launch of Google Cardboard (Craig’s already sold 13,000 units) and how you can duplicate the process for your business.
- How Craig suggests doing PR outreach (that actually works).
Subscribe & Review
To get more awesome Ecommerce Influence content sent directly to your device and into your ears as they become available, you can easily subscribe by clicking on either one of the subscribe buttons below:
Also, ratings and reviews on iTunes (hopefully 5-stars!) help us tremendously, we’re very grateful for them.
We do read all of the reviews and we’ll answer your questions or comments on future episodes.
Austin & Chad!
33 Killer Tools and Apps for Ecommerce Pros
Enter your email to access the list of my favorite tools for scaling your business