160: How The Top Ecommerce Brands Scale Up (And What You Can Learn From Them)
Posted by August 28, 2018on
Have you ever wondered what makes the difference between brands that scale and those who don’t?
A couple of months ago, I was asked this question on an interview with Kurt from the Unofficial Shopify Podcast.
After re-listening to the episode, I decided to share it with you. Kurt asks great questions and I outline my entire philosophy on growth. It’s especially timely to talk about scaling given the recent sale of MVMT Watches to Movado for $200 million.
In this episode, we talk about defining a growth strategy, scaling your advertising, and how to hire the team necessary to get to the next level. I also share what I’ve learned from working with some of the fastest growing brands in the country.
- 4:30 How Austin has helped many brands scale from $500k to $1MM.
- 7:00 Why it’s so important to do almost every job in your business before turning it over to someone else.
- 8:27 The big differences between the Shopify brands that scale up and those that don’t.
- 12:00 How to remove tasks from your plate so your business can scale.
- 14:20 The core KPI’s Austin uses to understand his client’s scalability.
- 15:56 Understanding what your net promoter score is and why it is so valuable to ecommerce brands.
- 23:00 The point at which Austin regularly sees businesses die out and how you can overcome it.
- 30:17 Everyone wants to scale their business but it does come with a few downsides.
- 33:45 How PR has helped many ecommerce brands become successful.
- 39:34 The questions you should be asking yourself to help you define your success.
Links and Resources
Become a Member
If you liked this episode, you’re going to love the Brand Growth Experts Membership. It’s a community of top ecommerce business owners and marketers who I coach one-on-one to help scale up their businesses. Together we’ll create a plan that will help you scale up your business, and then I’ll help you execute it.
If you want to make sure you’re growing as quickly and sustainably as possible, click here to learn more. Hope to see you on the inside!
This episode is brought to you by Klaviyo. If you’re running an ecommerce business and sending emails to your customers, you should be using Klaviyo. It will help you find out who your best customers are and target them one-to-one to make more money.
I’ve been using Klaviyo since they were just two employees. Now they have a team of 150 and are rolling out new features almost weekly. If you aren’t already a customer, head over to www.ecommerceinfluence.com/klaviyo and you’ll get a free trial + priority on-boarding.
The “Perfect Popup” Template
Discover 7 Ways to Capture More Emails Without Being Annoying or Douchy